Sunday, October 2, 2016

Response to DoT Policy on Highly Automated Vehicles

I've prepared a draft response to DoT/NHTSA on their proposed policy for highly automated vehicle safety.

EE Times article that summarizes my response

The topics I cover are:
1. Requiring a safety argument that deals with the challenges of validating machine learning
2. Requiring transparent independence in safety assessment
3. Triggering safety reassessment based on safety integrity, rather than “significant” functionality
4. Requiring assessment of changes that can compromise the triggering of fall-back strategies
5. Characterizing what “reasonable” might mean regarding anticipation of exceptional scenarios
6. Assuring the integrity of data that is likely to be used for crash investigations
7. Diagnostics that encompass non-collision failures of components and end-of-life reliability loss
8. More uniform codification of traffic rule exceptions
9. Ensuring the safety of driver-takeover strategies for SAE Level 2 systems

Document pointers:
Comments either to this blog or to my university e-mail are welcome.  
         koopman - at - cmu.edu
I might not have time to respond in detail to all comments, but I appreciate anything that will help improve this response.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please send me your comments. I read all of them, and I appreciate them. To control spam I manually approve comments before they show up. It might take a while to respond. I appreciate generic "I like this post" comments, but I don't publish non-substantive comments like that.

If you prefer, or want a personal response, you can send e-mail to comments@koopman.us.
If you want a personal response please make sure to include your e-mail reply address. Thanks!

Job and Career Advice

I sometimes get requests from LinkedIn contacts about help deciding between job offers. I can't provide personalize advice, but here are...